OHCC Golf Club General Meeting—January 24, 2018 (1 of 2)
Executive Board Members Present: Grady Machnick, Greg Coffey, Nancy Gayvert, Ed Olson, Marilyn Vetlesen, Bob Fisher and Fred Peppe.
Chairpersons Present: Doug Wright, Mike Bell, Patty Coffey, Carol Wright, Rita Harper, Dave Demarest, Barbara Demarest.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by President Grady Machnick at 4:31pm.
Pledge of Allegiance: 4:32pm
Approval of Last Meeting’s Minutes: A motion was made by Mike bell, seconded by Rita Harper, to approve the minutes of the last meeting.
Treasurer’s Report: Ed Olson reported that the OHGC had $9295 in the treasury as of January 24, 2018.
President’s Report: Slate of 2018 OHGC Directors was approved by acclamation. Golf tags for 2018 are available at the front desk (get one and read the back – good information). Signup for the February 24 th Callaway custom putter fitting – it’s free and no obligation. Barbara Miller thanked club members for all the cards, flowers and great meals during her recent hospitalization and rehab stint.
- Membership: Carol Wright – 279 men, 194 women, with many members yet to sign up. Expect total membership to be about the same as last year (530) after all signups.
- Woman’s Golf: Nancy Gayvert – Many events already scheduled for 2018 (February 14 th scramble, June 20 th scramble and luncheon, December holiday party). Other events in the planning stages. New players will be paired up with a “golf buddy” to introduce them to our golf program. If you wish to help with Woman’s Golf, call Nancy. And remember to keep up with the group in front of you, as pace of play continues to be an issue with OHGC players.
- Men’s Golf: Bob Fisher – Again, pace of play is an issue. It is the responsibility of the team captain to remind players of proper golf etiquette. A basic guideline: just try to keep up with the group in front of you. Monday and Tuesday golf fee is always $2 per player. Large bills (anything larger than $1) can be difficult for the casa staff. And we always need more help in the casa. Let Bob know if you would like to join the casa team.
OHCC Golf Club Board Meeting—January 24, 2018 (P. 2 of 2)
- Special Tournaments: Rita Harper – Pick up a flier or check the web site for dates of all special tournaments this year. Cost is $10 cash for each event. One of our previous sponsors, Pipes Plumbing, is not renewing this year, so we will be looking for a replacement.
- Touring Amateurs: Dave Demarest – TA tournaments are played on courses outside of OHCC. Three courses are full length, two are executive courses and three are “stretched executive” courses. Pick up a flier or check the web site for details. The next TA tournament will be held on March 19 th at Oaks North ($40 with cart, $30 walking). Checks only to be dropped off at TA box in Demarest’s courtyard. Again this year, Aegis is our sponsor.
- Guys & Dolls: Tom & Marilyn Vetlesen – Sunday January 28 th is first G & D of the year (136 players, $5 cash at the Casa). All tournaments are scrambles. March tournament sponsored by Patti Smith (pizza Patti).
- Niners: Mike Bell – Tuesday afternoons, nine holes, $1 to play, lots of fun. If you want to play, have a golf tag and are a member of OHGC (no handicap needed), just show up late morning Tuesdays. Check “Niners News” on the website for additional information.
- Match Play: Joe Newmyer – Absent, no report.
- Hole-in-One: Gordon Burrows – Last year 47 holes-in-one, 27 men, 20 women. Wow!
- Handicaps-Marilyn Vetlesen – Reminder, you need a handicap to play in Special Tournaments (five 18 hole rounds, played with anyone, sign and date card, with your contact information on the card. If you had a handicap in 2017 but didn’t play five rounds last year, you will play with ½ handicap until such time you get in five rounds in 2018.
- Golf Course Committee/Irrigation: Greg Coffey – Golf Course will be closed the week of March 5 th -9 th for work and repair. All golf facilities will be closed this week. No update on the golf course renovation project. If you see inappropriate behavior on the golf course, report it (specifics – who, what, where, when). Note: all single rider golf carts may not be approved for use on our golf course. Buyer beware.
- Rules: Doug Wright – Nothing to report
- Casa Facilities: Patty Coffey – All is well.
- Computer: Marilyn Vetlesen –Always welcome new volunteers to help in the Casa. Recently trained five new helpers. Remember to sign all cards, compare scores on each card, place in proper slot at Casa door.
- Publicity: Pete Russell – Absent, no report.
- Sunshine: Karen Carothers – Absent, no report.
Adjourned: Meeting was adjourned at 5:30pm
OHCC Golf Club General Meeting—October 11, 2017 (1 of 2)
Executive Board Members Present: Grady Machnick, Greg Coffey, Kathy Hunt, Ed Olson, Tom Vetlesen, Marilyn Vetlesen, Bob Fisher and Fred Peppe.
Chairpersons Present: Doug Wright, Mike Bell, Patty Coffey, Joe Newmyer, Carol Wright, Rita Harper, Dave Demarest, Barbara Demarest, Nancy Gayvert.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by President Grady Machnick at 4:26pm.
Pledge of Allegiance: 4:27pm
Approval of Last Meeting’s Minutes: A motion was made by Marilyn Vetlesen, seconded by Rita Harper, to approve the minutes of the last meeting.
Treasurer’s Report: Ed Olson reported that the OHGC had $5977.23 in the treasury as of September 30, 2017.
President’s Report: Later on in this meeting, we have a special guest coming, Bob Witt, and we will be celebrating his 100 th birthday with a cake and a great rendition of Happy Birthday. Also, for Ladies Golf on Wednesday, Alison Vincent is the scheduler. Be sure to contact her if you want to play.
The nominating committee presented our slate of officers for next year, and “if you liked this year’s team, you are going to love next year’s as well”, according to Tom Vetlesen. President: Grady Machnick, 1 st VP: Bev Gillette, 2 nd VP: Greg Coffey, Treasurer: Ed Olson, Secretary: Fred Peppe. Slate voted on and approved unanimously.
One-in One awards were announced by Gordon Burroughs.
- Membership: Carol Wright - 330 Men, 218 Women, Total 548; 47 new members in 2017.
- Woman’s Golf: Nancy Gayvert – Holiday Lunch scheduled at Shadowridge on December 12, 2017.
- Men’s Golf: Bob Fisher – There is $220 in “old money” (winnings not yet claimed); if it’s you, come by and pick it up. Thanks to the many Casa volunteers. If you want to help, let Bob know. And pace of play, just try to keep up with the group in front of you.
OHCC Golf Club Board Meeting—September 9, 2017(2 of 2)
Special Tournaments: Rita Harper – Good news: Next year will have the same tournaments and sponsors as this year.
Touring Amateurs: Dave Demarest – Woods Valley coming up on September 18, 2017, 89 persons signed up, with St. Marks and 35 foursomes playing on October 6 th. November tournament is at Welk Resort. Next year’s events will include 6 of the 8 venues from this year, with The Vineyards and Twin Oaks as new additions.
- Guys & Dolls: Tom & Marilyn Vetlesen – 168 players for latest tournament; September 24 th for next one.
- Niners: Mike Bell – Tuesday afternoons, nine holes, lots of fun. If you want to play, have a golf tag and are a member of OHGC (no handicap needed), just show up late morning Tuesdays.
- Match Play: Joe Newmyer – Men’s tournament winner: Don Dudley (33 players, lots of fun). Merrill Gardens is our sponsor – thanks to you.
- Handicaps: Tom Vetlesen – 265 Men, 163 Women, Total 428; 36 new handicaps this year.
- Golf Course Committee/Irrigation: Greg Coffey – Golf Course will be closed the week of October 16 th for work and repair. The first “Walk the Course Day: was a success, with the Bird Watchers Club really enjoying their walk and bird sightings. No update on the golf course renovation project. Currently 810 residents have OHGC golf tags.
- Rules: Doug Wright – OHGC follows and plays by USGA golf rules….
- Casa Facilities: Patty Coffey – All is well.
- Computer: Marilyn Vetlesen –Need more volunteers to help in the Casa. Call Marilyn if you want more information.
- Publicity: Pete Russell – Absent, no report.
- Sunshine: Karen Carothers – Absent, no report.
Note : On October 13, 2017 Elizabeth Westwater, Chair of the Ladies Golf Holiday Luncheon Committee, made a request of the Golf Board via email to be allowed to use the $250.00 deposit money allocated for the luncheon to off-set the increased cost of this year’s luncheon for members. This request was sent to the Golf Board for discussion by email on 10/13/17.
On 10/14/17 Tom Vetlesen made a motion to approve this request. Bob Fisher seconded the motion. The vote to approve was completed on 10/15/17 with yes votes from Bev Gillett, Tom and Marilyn Vetlesen, Ed Olson, Greg Coffey, Fred Peppe
Adjourned: Meeting was adjourned at 5:17pm
OHCC Golf Club
General Membership Meeting Minutes
April 12, 2017
- Board Members Present: Grady Machnick, Bev Gillett, Greg Coffey, Ed Olson, Kathy Hunt, Bob Fisher, Marilyn Vetlesen, Tom Vetlesen, Fred Peppe
- Call to order: Meeting opened by Grady Machnick at 4:29 PM, followed by Pledge of Allegiance
- Approval of Prior Meeting’s Minutes: It was motioned, seconded and carried (Joe Newmyer/Mike Ball) to approve the January 25, 2017 minutes as presented.
- Treasurer’s Report: Ed Olson reported that as of April 1, 2017 our bank balance was $8332.67.
- President’s Report:
- Grady thanked Patty and Greg Coffey for arranging food and drinks for our meeting. He also thanked Patti Smith for her donation of sodas for today’s meeting. Bev Gillett was recognized for coordinating the recent golf clinic.
- Grady asked new members to introduce themselves (Bob Ross, Michael Gordon).
- Grady shared with the group the two most common complaints mentioned to him by members: pace of play (we are all aware of how important it is to keep up with the group directly in front of us) and not replacing divots (just do it!).
- Old Business:
- Bob Fisher reported the results of the recent survey relative to changing the Men’s Golf days from Monday/Tuesday to Tuesday/Thursday. Although this change would result in more Men’s Golf days on Mondays, less than half of the respondents voted in favor of this change. Also, the survey indicated that players would not play anymore than they currently do if the change were made. Thus, no change in Men’s Golf days will be made at this time.
- Bev Gillett thanks all of her volunteers for helping make the recent golf clinic a great success. Another clinic is tentatively planned for July 2017.
- Grey Coffey described a recent change to establishing an OHGC handicap: A person with an established GHIN handicap index is now able to use that handicap as a basis to establish an initial OHGC handicap. The OHGC handicap will be computed by multiplying their GHIN figure by 40% enabling the new player to immediately enjoy tournament play.
- New Business:
- A special report presentation was made by Phil Turner, head of Community Patrol relating to “Golf Course Emergencies”. Phil outlined the steps one should take when encountering a situation while on the golf course:
- Know your location
- Call 911
- Call Community Patrol on one of our emergency phone located on the golf course (between holes 2 and 3, on hole 6, on both holes 14 and 15). There are in a red box with a location ID number on the box.
Phil reported that normal response time to get to your location is 3 to 5 minutes and all patrol staff are trained what to do (and what they are not allowed to do).
Phil gave a general warning to watch out for rattlesnakes. He also stated that security measures have been intensified, but the job is most difficult with 53,000 vehicles coming thru the guest lane at the front gate just last month.
- Committee Reports:
- Woman’s Golf - Nancy Gayvert informed us that Woman’s match play would start May 1 st, sponsored by Merrill Gardens; more details to follow. A special announcement Grady shared with us about Ladies Golf – two holes-in-one in one day (Jean Boston and Lyle Conifrey – Congrats!).
- Men’s Golf: Bob Fisher thanked all of the Casa volunteers whom without there would be no men’s golf.
- Niners Golf: Mike Bell reported that 9ers golf (Tuesdays late morning) is thriving, with as many as 27 golfers on a recent day. For those wishing to play on Tuesdays after the 9ers all tee off, he suggests not trying prior to 12:45PM or so, in order to give time for the 1 st tee to be clear of 9ers.
- Guys & Dolls: Guys & Dolls spokesman Ton Vetlesen reported that the April 2 nd tournament has 151 players. The next event is May 13 th and is a bargain at $5.00 per player.
- Touring Amateurs: Touring Amateurs guru Dave Demarest reported that 148 players have signed up for the April 24 th Welk Fountains Resort tournament. May 22 nd and June 19 th tournaments to follow (schedule at the Casa and online).
- Special Tournaments: Rita Harper, special tournaments chairperson, stated that signups for the May 8 th/9 th Fairwinds tournament is well underway, with a field of 90 players already. Cost is $10/player…..
- Match Play: Joe Newmyer announced the flight winners of the recent Men’s Match Play Tournament:
- John Will
- Ron Torgerson
- Bob Whissel
- Bob Ferrol
Sally Palmer reported that Ladies Match Play will begin May 1 st, with four flights of equal handicap golfers.
- Membership: Carol Wright stated that we have 503 total members, 292 men and 211 women.
- Handicaps: Tom Vetlesen said that 251 men have established handicaps; 162 women including 16 new members.
- Rules: Doug Wright introduced a new local rule: “Accidental Movement of a Ball on a Putting Green” - When a player’s ball lies on the putting green, (and only the putting green) there is no penalty if the ball or ball-marker is accidentally moved by the player, his partner, his opponent, or any of their caddies or equipment.
- Facilities: Patty Coffey thanked her helpers for their continuing support.
- Computer: Tom Vetlesen said that several “trainees” were really moving forward with learning all the computer skills necessary to help manage the massive task of maintaining all recordkeeping for OHGC.
- Publicity: Nothing to report.
- Member Input: Mark Deutman, President of the Golf Course Committee, reported that there is an opening on the committee and interested parties should contact him for more information.
- Adjournment: Grady Machnick adjourned the meeting at 5:24 PM.
Submitted by Fred Peppe, April 13, 2017
OHCC Golf Club
General Membership Meeting Minutes
January 25, 2017
- Board Members Present: Grady Machnick, Bev Gillett, Greg Coffey, Ed Olson, Kathy Hunt, Bob Fisher, Marilyn Vetlesen, Fred Peppe
- Board Members Absent: Tom Vetlesen
- Call to order: Meeting opened by Grady Machnick at 4:32 PM, followed by Pledge of Allegiance
- Approval of Prior Meeting’s Minutes: It was motioned, seconded and carried (M/S/C - Al Harriff, Cliff Singh) to approve the October 12, 2016 minutes as presented.
- Treasurer’s Report: Ed Olson reported that we currently have $8800.00 in the treasury with dues still coming in.
- President’s Report:
- Grady asked for motions to approve Fred Peppe as secretary, Kathy Hunt and Bob Fisher, Marilyn and Tom Vetlesen as directors. M/S/C (Mike Ball/Dennis Lady).
- Grady then extended a big thank you to Jerry Moskovitz, Elizabeth Westwater and Penny Ostergaard for their contributions to the club during the prior year(s).
- Welcome and self-introduction of new members.
- Special Recognition and Presentation: Grady presented a gift from the club to Dick Travis for all of the hard work involved in keeping and maintaining the OHGC web site. Dick was very appreciative of the recognition. He thanked Scott Sloan for his contributions to keep our web site current and relevant. Dick also encouraged members to send pictures and/or videos of golfing activities to him for inclusion on the web site.
- New Business:
- Bev Gillett invited all OHGC members to “Golf 101”, an informative program being put on by the OHGC on February 3, 2017 at 12:30 PM in Abravanel Hall. This program is designed for new and experienced golfers and will cover such topics as guidelines for establishing a handicap, overview of golf rules, men’s and ladies golf days, and regular and special club golf tournaments and events. You must pre-register for this event. It should be a fun as well as very informative afternoon.
- Bob Fisher stated that “old money” due to men golfers for play in the Monday or Tuesday leagues must be picked up by the end of January (or shortly thereafter) or the funds will be donated to men’s golf fund. Bob mentioned that a survey will be taken relative to changing men’s golf days from Monday/Tuesday to Tuesday/Thursday to avoid conflicts with Touring Amateurs and special tournaments currently held on Monday. If there is sufficient interest in making this change, it will be taken to the Golf Committee for their review, and then on to the Master Board (this may take a while prior to a final outcome). Additionally, Bob wanted to thank Jerry Moskovitz for his vast contributions and assistance with making Bob’s appointment to Men’s Golf Chair a smooth one.
- Doug Wright explained in detail a pending PGA rule that will go into effect immediately for the OHGC: “Accidental Movement of a Ball on a Putting Green”
When a player’s ball lies on the putting green, (and only the putting green) there is no penalty if the ball or ball-marker is accidentally moved by the player, his partner, his opponent, or any of their caddies or equipment. The moved ball or ball-marker must be replaced.
- Grady received a thank you card from Glen Kramer and the golf course maintenance gang thanking the club for the Pizza Holiday party which Golf Board member’s attended. It was a great opportunity to thank them for all their efforts throughout the year and to show our appreciation.
- Grady stated a safety concern with regard to golf course closures . The criteria for course closure are based on the safety of all members which includes cart riders. If the course cannot be open to cart riders it is closed to all.
- Grady stated that the cost to play in both Special Tournaments and Guys and Dolls has gone up by $1.00 to allow for Hole in One prize money. This increase is a result of a previous donation for Hole in Ones being expended.
- Committee Reports:
- Golf Committee Rep – Greg Coffey: Greg mentioned that the course may reopen on Friday, once the downed trees and debris are completely removed following our recent rain storms. There are still many very muddy spots and areas that would be a problem playing today.
- Greg explained that reclaimed water for use on the golf course is planned for mid-2018. Decisions will be made with regard to course closures in order to complete necessary work to accept this reclaimed water. In general, the course is in fine shape. Extensive work was completed last year on several t-boxes (holes 12, 13, 15), plus the greens are in really nice shape.
- Woman’s Golf – Nancy Gayvert: Nancy reports that woman’s golf has another fun and exciting year ahead. Currently planned is a Valentine’s Day Scramble on Wednesday February 15, 2017. She advised that a flier with all the details will be coming soon. Also, Nancy suggested that women to save the date - June 21, 2017 - for a match play scramble and lunch.
- Men’s Golf – Bob Fisher: See Bob’s comments under New Business above
- Niners – Mike and Mina Bell: Mike explained the Niners concept is to play nine holes of golf immediately following the Tuesday men’s league, pay $1.00 to play and just show up. If you don’t have playing partners, Mike and Mina will find them for you the day you play. Mike also recommended players interested in playing on Tuesday afternoons (that are not part of Niners) plan to start 1:30 PM or later to allow the Niners time to finish. No handicap is required.
- Guys & Dolls – Marilyn and Tom Vetlesen: Marilyn reported that the first tournament is scheduled for February 4, 2017, with money (cash only - $5.00 per player) to be turned in by January 28, 2017. Volunteers are needed as starters and for bar help.
- Touring Amateurs – Dave and Barbara Demarest: Dave gave some history of Touring Amateurs (TA), created in 1983 by Doris Reed, with the thought that playing at courses outside of OHCC would be fun. Currently events are held at other executive courses as well as 2-3 full length courses each year. The first 2017 “Touring Amateurs” event is scheduled at Oaks North on Monday, March 20. Entry fee is $40 which covers green fee, half cart, range balls and prizes. Because of cart limitations, walkers are encouraged at a fee of just $30. Flyers are available at the OHGC website and at the Golf Casa. All eight TA tournaments in 2017 are being sponsored by Aegis Retirement Center of Vista.
- Match Play – Joe Newmyer: Joe informed us that all three match play events this year (Men’s, Ladies and OHCC Open) are being sponsored by Merrill Garden Senior Living Center in Oceanside. The matches are paired up, and then scheduled by the players themselves. The 16 th Annual Herb Stark Match Play Tournament is set to begin March 13, 2017. Details are available on the OHGC web site.
Sally Palmer informed us that the Ladies Match Play Tournament is scheduled to begin on
May 2, 2017, more details coming soon.She also thanked Joe Newmyer, Judy Fry and all the
volunteers who assisted in putting this event together.
- Membership – Carol Wright: Carol informed us that we currently have 475 members including 39 new members (199 women, with 30 maybes and 276 men with 50 maybes). Many of the maybes are snowbirds who may sign up when they arrive later in the year.
- Handicaps – Tom Vetlesen: Marilyn, subbing for Tom, explained the requirement of having a handicap in order to play in OHGC tournaments. You only need to play five rounds and have your card signed by your playing partner or another person, sign date and put your address and phone number on the card and drop it in the “Handicaps” slot at the Golf Casa.
- Hole-in One – Gordon Burrows: Gordon will prepare certificates for our latest Hole-in-One golfers: John Jarf (Hole #13; October 11,2016), John Mitchell (Hole #2; November 1, 2016), Frank Procsal (Hole #7; November 7, 2016), Chris Bevevino (Hole #11; November 28, 2016), Mike Stern (Hole #2; December 27, 2016) and Chuck Miller (Hole #16; January 17, 2017).
- Next Meeting and Adjournment: Next meeting – April 12, 2017; meeting adjourned at 5:35PM.
OCEAN HILLS GOLF CLUB GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
OCTOBER 12, 2016
The meeting was called to order at 4:30pm by President, Opal Martin. Opal asked members to please stand and join her in the Pledge of Allegiance to our flag.
Minutes: Motion was made and seconded (Elizabeth Westwater/Grady Machnick) to approve the minutes of the last
General Membership Meeting. Motion passed unanimously.
Treasurer: Max Blumeyer announced that the 2017 dues will remain the same ($10 per person). Max reported that Paul Yoshida completed the 2016 audit and certified that the books balance and all appeared appropriate. Max said that we have $6,700 of uncommitted funds in our bank account and that we can spend down some excess money on an ad hoc basis. Motion was made and seconded (Elizabeth Westwater/Bev Gillett) to approve the 2017 budget. Motion passed unanimously.
President’s Report: Opal welcomed new members to the Golf Cluband asked them to stand and give their names and where they had moved from. New members are as follows: Sherry McDaniel – San Marcos, Carol Alberts – New York, Terry Wilson – Alpine and Phyllis Skall – Shadowridge. Opal also reminded everyone of the ongoing need for volunteers to help with the numerous Golf Club events and different committees.
Old Business: Secretary, Penny Ostergaard, read all motions made during the last quarter.
New Business: President, Opal Martin, announced that a three-person committee, consisting of Greg Coffey, Dave Demarest and Fred Peppe, was formed in June to nominate candidates to fill three officer vacancies that will occur in 2017. The vacancies include President, First Vice President and Treasurer. Greg Coffey introduced the nominees as follows: President: Grady Machnick, First Vice President: Bev Gillett, 2 nd Vice President: Greg Coffey, Treasurer: Ed Olsen, Secretary: Penny Ostergaard. Opal asked for nominations from the floor. None were offered. Motion was made and seconded (Brooks Westwater/Mike Ball) to elect 2017 slate of officers as presented. Motion passed unanimously. Opal reported on the new “shout out” policy. The policy is that subject matter be limited to anything that promotes golf in Ocean Hills Country Club other than advertising. All shout out requests are to be in written form and e-mailed to Karen Carrothers, or in her absence, Carol Wright. The Calendar and location of General Membership meetings in 2017 are as follows: Jan. 25 and April 12 – Abravanel Hall; July 12 and Oct. 11 – Lanai.
GOLF COURSE CLOSURE: Grady Machnick reported that the Golf Course will be closed the following times: Monday Oct. 17: Front 9 closed, Back 9 open. Tuesday, Oct. 18: Front 9 closed, Back 9 open. Wednesday, Oct. 19: Course Closed. Thursday, Oct. 20: Back 9 closed, Front 9 open. Friday, Oct. 21: Course closed. All practice areas closed except the hitting cages. Course reopens Sat., Oct. 22.
Holes-In-One: Gordon Burrows presented Holes-In-One Certificates to the following: Rich Dameron, Mike Caligiuri, Mike Thornton, Peter Fry, Tom Mazur, Mike Stern, Art Keller, Don Young and Frank Procsal.
Match-Play: Carol Wright (standing in for Joe Newmyer) presented a plaque to the 2016 Match-Play winner, Mike Stern (3 time winner). Carol said that this is the 5 th annual Match-Play Tournament (no handicaps, men and women). The Match-Play plaque that is located at the Golf Casa will be updated with Mike Stern’s name as the 2016 winner.
Golf Course Committee: Greg Coffey reported that the lollipop look alikes that are around the base of the pine trees are for pests. Greg said that Glen Kramer is picking up organic tea compost from the City of Oceanside to place on fairways to help green them up. New flags, poles, cup-holders and reflectors have been purchased.
Membership: Carol Wright reported that we have 532 members. Carol will e-mail pre-registration forms for 2017 Golf Club memberships.
Guys and Dolls: Marilyn Vetlesen reported that the last Guys and Dolls tournament will be October 29. Doubles and
singles can sign up. Marilyn thanked all the volunteers that have helped her with starting and the bar. Marilyn also said that the new volunteers who are operating the computer are doing well and that she has a new monitor.
Handicaps: Tom Vetlesen reported that the golf club has a total of 443 handicaps and that there are 21 new women and 20 new men.
Women’s Golf: Elizabeth Westwater announced that Nancy Gayvert will be taking over as chair of Women’s Golf. The ladies holiday luncheon will be held on Tuesday, December 13.
Men’s Golf: Jerry Moskovitz – unable to attend.
Niners: Mike and Mina Bell – unable to attend.
Publicity: Pete Russell - unable to attend.
Special Tournaments: Rita Harper reported that all tournaments in 2016 were successful. She thanked Doug & Carol Wright, Tom & Marilyn Vetlesen, Elizabeth Westwater & Marge Stogdill and Everett & Jeanne Murrell for chairing the 2016 tournaments. Rita also asked for volunteers for the 2017 tournaments.
Touring Amateurs: Dave and Barbara Demarest have been running Touring Amateurs for 10 years. Dave said that he is delighted to see new couples joining. Dave asked for volunteers to take over the job of running the Touring Amateurs. Next tournament will be at St. Mark Executive Course, Monday, Oct. 16 (128 players). The last tournament in 2016 will be Mon., Nov. 13 at Welk Resort (Fountains) Course ($36). Dave reminded members that the 2017 Touring Amateurs schedule is available to pick up after meeting.
Tournament Instruction & Rules: Doug Wright – No comment.
Sunshine: Karen Carrothers - unable to attend.
Casa: Patty Coffey – No comment.
Member Input: Bob Whissle requested that the Golf BOD look into changing Men’s Days from Monday & Tuesday to Tuesday and Thursday. Bob stated that playing Mon. and Tues. is hard on the body (playing two days in a row). Opal told Bob that this request should be taken up with Jerry Moskovitz, Chairman, Men’s Golf. Jeanne Murrell said that her “Golf Buddy” does not work on the ladies tee box on #8.
Thank you Gifts: Gifts were presented to Opal Martin, President, Max Blumeyer, Treasurer and Elizabeth Westwater, Women’s Golf Chair, with heartfelt thanks from Golf Club members for their years of service to the Ocean Hills Golf Club.
Refreshments for General Meeting: Opal thanked Patty and Greg Coffey for the outstanding job they did in providing refreshments (pizza, cookies, wine, beer, soda) and door prizes.
Door Prizes: Door prize winners: Brooks Westwater, Mike Stern, Patti Haugen and Cyndy Hamasaki.
Meeting adjourned at 5:40pm.
Penny Ostergaard, Secretary
OCEAN HILLS GOLF CLUB GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
JULY 13, 2016 – MINUTES
The meeting was called to order at 6:00pm by President, Opal Martin. Opal welcomed Golf Club Members and Guests to General Membership Meeting/Party.
Minutes: Motion was made and seconded (Tom Vetlesen/Greg Coffey) to approve the minutes of last meeting. Motion passed unanimously.
President’s Report: President, Opal Martin introduced Board members to Golf members.
Opal thanked Pete Russell and Grady Machnick, co-chairs of the ABCD Tournament and their team members for making this wonderful golf event happen. She also thanked Alison Vincent, her co-chairs and team for planning and executing the 19 th Hole event. Opal introduced the ABCD tournament sponsor, Dana Albert and his wife Andrea. This was the 2 nd year that Dana has sponsored a $10,000 hole-in-one tournament in Ocean Hills. Golf Club members are grateful for his continued support. Dana will help Pete and Grady present the golf awards. Also, invited were Glen Kramer and his wife, Maria. Opal thanked Glen on behalf of all Golf members for spearheading the transition of our Golf Course and in the process instilled a renewed spirit in our course maintenance crew. She told Glen that we are honored to have him here at OHCC. Opal asked new Golf Club Members to stand up and give us their names and where they moved from. Their names are as follows: 1. Chris Sjodin, Vista. 2. Carol Alberts, New York.
3. Walter Weber, Carlsbad. Opal then thanked the 4 photographers that took pictures during the tournament. They were as follows: Ernie and Susan Pick, Bud DeMaris and Chris Sjodin.
Treasurer: Max Blumyer reported that the current bank balance is $8,8680.28.
Secretary: Penny Ostergaard read all motions made by Golf BOD (January 16, 2016 - July 9, 2016).
Old Business: Pending Bylaw Action: Opal reported that The Social Club reviewed our recently submitted bylaws and directed we make the following four modifications. Once we have obtained our membership ratification with the modifications included we will resubmit it for formal approval by the Social Club.
Change 1: Retitle the golf club bylaws by inserting the following above our title: “OCEAN HILLS SOCIAL CLUB” along with the subtitle “A non-Profit Mutual Benefit Corporation”.
Change 2: Insert the “Function and Purpose” of our club as paragraph 2 which reads as follows: “The club shall assist the Corporation in serving the recreational, social, entertainment and educational needs of the Ocean Hills Country Club”. Specifically, the purpose of the Golf Club shall be:
- To promote the game of golf at Ocean Hills Country Club by way of organizing and
conducting golf tournaments and functions.
- To encourage adherence to the rules of golfing, etiquette, and sportsmanship.
Change 3: Insert as paragraph #7 the following GOVERNING DOCUMENTS statement: “This club understands and accepts that the addition of the ‘Rules and Regulations of the Ocean Hills Social Club’s Corporation’, most recently approved by the Corporation’s Board of Directors constitutes the basic Rules and Regulations governing this Club. Specifically, this Club understands and agrees to abide by the Code of Conduct and the Code enforcement regulations articulated in the Bylaws of the Social Club.
Change 4: The last change is to simply renumber the Dissolution of Club statement from “7” to “8”.
Motion was made and seconded (Grady Machnick/Joe Newmyer) to approve the four modifications.
Motion passed unanimously.
Touring Amateurs: Dave Demarest reported that Touring Amateurs has an exclusive sponsor (Aegis). Dave introduced Aegis Director of Marketing, Suzy Bevenino. He also mentioned that Suzy and her husband live in OHCC.
Match Play – Joe Newmeyer announced that Bob Whissle was the winner of the Herb Stark Men’s Match Play Tournament and Natalie Sentz was the winner of the Doris Reid Women’s Match Play Tournament.
Golf Course Committee: Greg Coffey thanked Glen Kramer for all the work he has done to make Golf Course Greens look great. Jerry Moskovitz announced that the Men’s Day fixed tee times draw has been suspended indefinitely, as of Aug. 1. All groups other than those with preferred tee times will be included in the tee time rotations.
Hole-in-one Presentations: Opal, Grady and Greg distributed Hole-in-one certificates.
Carl Frazekas April 12 Hole #16
Jack Martin April 18 #3
Yaz Urano April 19 #13
Liz Alderson April 20 #18
Lyle Conifrey May 1 #10 & June 21 #17
Dan Wilkerson May 2 #15
Tom Vetlesen May 13 #3
Lise Cerqua June 6 #13
Martin Adams June 13 #11
Bob Bechill June 14 #15
Jim Legregs June 21 #17
Greg Coffey July 5 #13
Door Prizes: Opal Martin, Greg Coffey and Grady Machnick distributed the Door Prizes.
Adjournment: Opal announced, “No further business, this meeting is adjourned”.
Penny Ostergaard, Secretary
OCEAN HILLS GOLF CLUB GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
APRIL 13, 2016
The meeting was called to order at 4:30 p.m. by Opal Martin, President. Board members in attendance were First Vice President, Grady Machnick, Second Vice President, Greg Coffey, Treasurer, Max Blumeyer and Secretary, Penny Ostergaard. Opal asked all members to please stand up for the Pledge of Allegiance.
Minutes: Motion was made and seconded Len Holness/Elizabeth Westwater to approve minutes of January 20, 2016 as written. Motion passed unanimously.
Welcome new members: Opal Martin, President, welcomed new members and asked them to stand up and introduce themselves.
Financial Report: Max Blumeyer reported that at present we have a checking account balance of $9,947.57 which includes the $323.05 that was spent on refreshments for General Membership meeting.
President’s Report: Opal Martin thanked Golf Club Members for all the support that was given to her while she was recovering from a recent fall. Opal also thanked Bud De Maris who volunteered to photograph the Golf Club board members and committee chairs and then create the photo roster now posted at the CASA. Opal said that these pictures enable Golf Club members to connect a face with each position and shows how many dedicated people it takes to run the OHCC golf program.
Old Business: Opal announced that the revised Golf Club Charter and By-laws have been posted at the CASA for the past 30 days and therefore we are now required to formally approve them and that in doing so we are acknowledging that the Golf Club Charter and By-laws are compatible with those of the Social Clubs and that we accept the new rules and regulations. Motion was made and seconded Elizabeth Westwater/Len Holness to ratify Golf Club Charter. Motion passed unanimously. Motion was made and seconded Tony Gillett/Jack Martin to ratify Golf Club By-laws. Motion passed unanimously.
New Business: There are two known Board vacancies for the 2017 golf year and Opal has appointed Greg Coffey, Fred Peppe and Dave Demarest to search for potential people to fill these vacancies. Opal also reported that Pete Russell and Grady Machnick will co-chair the ABCD tournament being held on Wednesday, July 13. Tournament will be followed by a party hosted by Allison Vincent and Kathy Hunt. Flyer to be sent out in 2 weeks.
Golf Course Committee: Greg Coffey reported that during the Golf Course closure the course was aerated and verti-cut and the greens were sanded and plugs pulled. New signage will be installed. Greg also told members that if they see inappropriate behavior on golf course it should be reported to Community Patrol. If you break a window or hit a house, you should report it to the Front Desk. Tom Hogan, Landscape Operations Director, will be leaving Ocean Hills Country Club.
Men’s Day Tournaments: Jerry Moskovitz said residents who are looking to play with a foursome can e-mail him and he will try his best to get you into a game.
Women’s Day Tournaments: Elizabeth Westwater reported that the Ladies Day outing at St. Marks (during OHCC Golf
Course closure) was a huge success. Patti Smith and Joan Mcalister are providing a box lunch for the Wednesday, May
NINERS: Mike and Mina Bell run the Niners Tournament every Tuesday (after Men’s Day). Mike said that you do not need a handicap to play. Starting time is 12:00p.m. and costs $1.00. Niners news is posted at the CASA. Five or six groups usually go out.
Guys and Dolls: Marilyn and Tom Vetlesen announced that the next Guys and Dolls tournament will be held Sunday, May 15 with a cut-off date of May 8 for sign-up. Pizza will be provided.
Special Tournaments: Rita Harper reported that the Fairwinds tournament (scramble) is May 9 and 10. Flyer has been sent out and Gourmet Hot Dogs, Chips, Cookies and Soda will be served. Everett and Jeanne Murrel will be running the August and September special tournaments.
Touring Amateurs: Dave Demarest reported that on Monday, April 25, the touring amateurs will be traveling to Lawrence Welk in Escondido. Cut-off date for entering is April 16. Monday May 23 will be at Vineyard in Escondido and Monday, June 27 will be at Shadowridge in Vista.
Publicity: Pete Russell is trying his best to get information out to golfers in his OHCC Newsletter column so that it is current before the fact!
Handicaps: Tom Vetlesen reported that the Golf Club has 421 established handicaps (157 Women and 264 men). Eight women and 13 men have recently established handicaps. To establish a handicap, you must turn in 5 rounds.
Rules Tournament & Instruction: Doug Wright reminded members to play by SDGA rules, have fun and that there are no “gimmies”.
Membership: Carol Wright said that there are now 506 members (234 Women and 272 Men). She also said that women can come out on Wednesdays to establish their handicap.
Match Play: Joe Newmyer announced that Bob Whissle is the 2016 Grand Champion. The other participants were: Bob Fisher (A), Mike Caligiuri (B), Joel Rabe (C). Sally Palmer brought up the idea of having a women’s Match Play Tournament. The first annual Doris Reid Match Play tournament begins the week of May 1 and entries have to be in by noon April 28. Four flights will compete. Sally Palmer and Carol Wright will be the tournament directors.
Computer Operations: Marilyn Vetlesen said everything was fine.
Sunshine: Karen Carrothers was unavailable.
Hole-In One: Gordon Burrows gave out Hole-In-One certificates to the following Golf Members: Fred Peppe, Jerry Moskovitz, Cathy Moskovitz, Patty Coffey, Natalie Sims, Len Holness, Holly Richardson, Paul Schaffer, Bob Bechill, Yaz Urano, Gerry Livsey, Suchiko Okada, Taka Kramer, Betty Webb and Al Lipitz.
Casa Supplies: Patty Coffey has purchased new Scorecards.
Member Input: Jack Stanley gave members a short synopsis on the feasibility of drilling for water at OHCC for the purpose of watering the Golf Course. OHCC Board is not interested. Jack would like support from the Golf Club. Jack Stanley now owns the water rights. If more information is desired, contact Jack Stanley.
Door Prizes: Two gift certificates from Oggi’s were given out.
Adjournment: Meeting was adjourned at 5:25 p.m.
OCEAN HILLS GOLF CLUB
GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
OCEAN HILLS GOLF CLUB GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
JANUARY 20, 2016 – MINUTES
The meeting was called to order at 4:30pm by Greg Coffey, Second Vice President. Greg announced that President, Opal Martin, was in the hospital after a fall and was unable to attend. There were 75 members present. Ten members signed up as volunteers.
Board members in attendance were First Vice President, Grady Machnick, Second Vice President, Greg Coffey, Treasurer, Max Blumeyer and Secretary, Penny Ostergaard. Greg asked all members to please stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.
Greg announced 3 corrections before proceeding with meeting. 1. There will be no delay in the Audit as stated in the agenda.
2. There is no need to update yearly after initial doctor certification for a single rider golf cart. 3. We will be updating the Social Club Charter instead of the by-laws as stated in the agenda.
Greg introduced two new Board Officers for 2016. Grady Machnick, First Vice President and Penny Ostergaard, Secretary.
Minutes: Karen Carrothers motioned to approve minutes. Motion seconded by Marge Stogdill. Motion was unanimously approved.
Financial Report: Joe Newmeyer audited Golf Club Budget and found everything to be in order. Max Blumeyer reported that as of December 31, 2015 the bank balance was $5,621.47. Since January 1, 2016 we have banked $2,740 in membership dues, spent $68.85 on supplies and administrative expenses, leaving the club with a current bank balance of $8,292.62.
President’s Report: Second Vice President, Greg Coffey, announced that the following individuals have been appointed Board Directors for calendar year 2016: Jerry Moskovitz, Marilyn Vetlesen, Tom Vetlesen and Elizabeth Westwater. Marshall Kelsay motioned to accept slate of Directors. Motion Seconded by Mike Bell. Motion was unanimously approved. Greg thanked all volunteers who contribute hundreds of hours each year toward the betterment of our Golf Club. He also wished to express gratitude to Glen Kramer, golf course superintendent, and his maintenance team for the fine job and many improvements they have made to our golf course this past year. Golf Club hosted a luncheon for the maintenance team during the holidays. Greg read a thank you note from Glen for the luncheon. Greg reported that since Glen came aboard there has been considerable improvement in worker enthusiasm. Greg suggested that he hopes golfers will reinforce efforts to establish a closer relationship with maintenance personnel by taking the time to express appreciation to workers when they come in contact with them.
Greg announced that new pictures of current Board and Committee Chairs will be posted at the CASA and Web Site. He will contact the Photography Club for a volunteer to help us with this.
Old Business: Penny Ostergaard, Secretary, read the motions of Board and General Membership meetings for previous quarter. Two minor changes to our previous Charter are as follows: Under function and purpose, we added the words “and functions” to make the sentence read: “To promote the game of golf at Ocean Hills Country Club by way of organizing and conducting golf tournaments and functions.” Additionally, under no salaries or compensation, we removed the words “or compensation “to make the last sentence in the paragraph read: “No salary shall be paid for any such activity.” Tony Gillett made a motion to accept changes and Mike Thompson seconded. Motion was unanimously approved.
New Business: Greg welcomed new members to the Golf Club and invited them to introduce themselves. Greg reported that on July 13, 2016 the golf club will host an ABCD golf tournament followed by our Annual Membership Meeting and Golf Party. We need volunteers to chair the tournament and another set of volunteers for the party.
Membership: Carol Wright reported a total of 496 members (260 Men & 236 Women) and 58 new members.
Golf Course Committee: Greg Coffey reported that all bunkers now have a level entry. Greg also reported that the Golf Course will be closed for one week starting March 21, 2016 for deep aeration. If golfers have questions on frost delays, they should call the golf hot line and listen to the message or call the CASA.
Men’s Day Tournaments: Jerry Moskovitz was unavailable.
Women’s Day Tournaments: Elizabeth Westwater reported that the women’s golf lessons have been well attended and that she was taking a list for beginner lessons. She is also looking into an off-site holiday tournament and lunch (St. Marks). Patti Smith and Joan Mcalister will be hosting the Spring Luncheon and Tournament.
Niners: Mike said that Ocean Hills CC residents do not need a handicap to play Niners. Niners is held every Tuesday at 12:00pm. Players are requested to be at CASA at 11:30 and should notify Mike or Mina the day before on whether they are playing or not.
Guys and Dolls : Marilyn announced thatTournaments run for 9 months starting at the end of January. The first tournament will be January 30. She asked participants to put cash in an envelope and place envelope in box at CASA. Marilyn also asked for volunteers to serve soda, pretzels and popcorn after play.
Special Tournaments: Rita Harper was unavailable.
Touring Amateurs: David Demerest said that he and his wife Barbara have been running Touring Amateurs for 10 years. Members really appreciate their dedication and hard work. Dave reported that schedules for Touring Amateurs will be posted at the CASA.
Publicity: Pete Russell would like articles for the Ocean Hills Newsletter be e-mailed to him by the 5 th of each month. Pete and Grady Machnick have volunteered to run the ABCD tournament.
Handicaps: Tom Vetlesen reported a total of 443 Handicaps (168 Women and 275 Men). To maintain a current Handicap, members must have 5 posted scores by Dec. 31 for the following year.
Rules Tournament & Instruction: Doug Wright said that Ocean Hills Golf Club tries to adhere to USGA rules at all times. Also, he said that in a scramble you can set the ball within a card length and in tree wells you can move the ball 1 club length.
Computer Operations: Marilyn reported the computer is ok and 8 (new) people are being trained.
Sunshine: Karen Carrothers will send cards to Opal Martin and Dick Jacobsen.
Gordon Burrows: Unavailable.
Casa Supplies: Patty Coffey has ordered closest to the pin signs.
Call for Member Input: Scot Sloan gave a shout out to Marilyn and Tom Vetlesen. They have been running the computer for 10 years. They are much appreciated by the Ocean Hills Golf Club members.
Door prizes were given out by Greg Coffey.
Adjournment: Motion was made by Scot Sloan to Adjourn meeting @5:40pm. and seconded by Tom Vetlesen. Motion was unanimously approved.
Penny Ostergaard, Secretary
OCEAN HILLS GOLF CLUB GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
Wednesday October 14, 2015
The meeting was called to order after Happy Half-Hour at 4:30 PM. There were 52 members present. Board members in attendance included: President Opal Martin, First Vice President Len Holness, Second Vice President Greg Coffey, and Secretary Patty Coffey. Board Directors present were Tom and Marilyn Vetlesen. Special guest was Bob Witt. There were no new members present.
Minutes : Minutes approval motioned by Margie Stogdill, seconded by Mike Stern, and unanimously approved.
Financial Report : Treasurer Max Blumeyer was unavailable. First Vice President Len Holness gave the report. Item #1 was the balance as of October 5 th which was $4462.50. Item #2 was the proposed budget for 2016 with expenses covering outside golf events was $52,000. The proposed budget is with dues being raised for $8 to $10. Item #3 the Board has proposed we increase the dues to $10. With the rules changing at Ocean Hills for Clubs there will be fewer restrictions and monies can carry over year to year. The guidelines have been relaxed and monies can now be used to promote more golf events that occur. The Golf club will be able to help supplement golf activities, social functions, and prizes. Doug Wright made a motion to approve the dues increase and Don Dudley seconded it. It was unanimously approved.
President’s Report : President Opal Martin welcomed and introduced our special guests Bob Witt and his wife Edie. Bob is 98 years young and has been married 75 years. Bob still walks the course every Monday. We plan on holding a Golf Tournament in January for all over 90 years old. Birthday cake was a surprise and served at the end of the meeting.
Old Business : November 5 is the Fall Classic Golf Tournament. It will be a scramble. ABCD format. Sigh-ups begin October 23 at the Casa in person from 9-11. The first 148 players will play. Merrill Lynch (Dana Albert) will sponsor a Hole-N-One for $10,000. There will also be money given for closet to the pin, men and women. An awards presentation on the Lanai at 5PM that evening and will include wine tasting and munchies for the participants by the Grocery Outlet.
New Business : There will be two vacancies on the Board and two vacancies on the committees. First Vice President Len Holness served two years. Secretary Patty Coffey served three years. Margie Stogdill served as membership chairman for three years. June Brimecombe was in charge of Casa Supplies. Greg Coffey and his nominating committee Elsa Offersen and Lyle Conifrey nominated Grady Machnik as First Vice President and Penny Ostergaard as Secretary. Margie Stogdill will be replaced by Carol Wright and June Brimecombe will be replaced by Patty Coffey. Patty will continue hospitality at the meetings. A motion was made to accept the new slate of 2016 officers by Marilyn Vetlesen and seconded by Tom Vetlesen. It was unanimously approved.
Golf Course Committee : Greg Coffey mentioned the eventual collar replacements on the greens. He explained the bio-zone and replacing the collars with bent grass. The recycled water was mentioned but because it has become nearly as expensive as potable water it could be at least 2 years away. The discussion will be about how they fix the golf course in time. Will it be 4 holes at a time, or just the front or just the back or take the course down all at once?
A question was asked about “ground under repair” areas and why are they not all circled. Greg will look into it. The greens are old and need to be replaced. This subject is being discussed at the Golf Course Committee meetings.
Men’s Day Tournaments : Jerry Moskovitz was unavailable.
Women’s Day Tournaments : Elizabeth Westwater was unavailable. Margie Stogdill gave the report. The Holiday Luncheon will be December 16, 2015 at Shadowridge. Tickets go on sale November 5 for $26 members, $28 non-members.
Niners : Mike Bell reported that every Tuesday golfers play 9 holes with the first group going out about noonish. It is low key, no handicaps needed and no team.
Guys and Dolls : Marilyn Vetlesen said the last Guys and Dolls is Sunday, October 25. It will be Jack Collar Day, for all his years as the starter for this event. THANKS JACK COLLAR and THANKS to Tom and MARILYN VETLESEN for their hard work running Guys and Dolls.
Special Tournaments : Rita Harper said thanks to all the helpers who have run the events. There are flyers at the Casa for next year’s special tournaments. Rita THANKYOU for your hard work also.
Match Play : Joe Newmyer gave a report on the 4 th Annual Match Play Open which has no handicaps. He thanked Doug and Carol Wright and Sally Palmer for their help. 34 people participated which included 7 ladies and 27 men. It was 5 weeks long. Mike Stern was the winner for the second year in a row. Congrats Mike Stern and THANKS JOE for your hard work.
Touring Amateurs : David Demarist said the e-blasts work and thanks Karen Carrothers for the shoutout for this next event at St. Marks. The final tournament will be at Welk Resort on Monday, November 16 for $36 which includes cart. There is a schedule at the Casa for 2016. Thanks DAVID and BARBARA for your hard work.
Hole-N-Ones : Gordon Burrows gave out 11 certificates from August through September. A late award was given to Bud McConnell for Nov 6, 2006, hole #2, and recognition to Natalie Sentz for a hole-n-one today at Ladies Day. Lynne Fuller-Aug 22-hole #13; Theresa Schroer-July 11-hole #17: Dennis Molloy-July 9-hole #9; Ron Gagnon-July 6-hole #3; Jim Mulvey-July 21-hole #3;Bill Nordberg-July 21-hole #16;Allison Vincent-Aug 12-hole #9; Jim Kaminsky-Sept 8-hole #17;Gerry Stier-Sept 22-hole #16; Lauretta Hartzell-Sept 23- hole #6. CONGRATULATIONS.
Membership : Margie Stogdill’s replacement is Carol Wright who will take over now. There are 520 members in 2015. Thanks Margie for your time and effort. JOB WELL DONE. Look for emails or in your tube about paying dues earlier than January.
Handicaps : Tom Vetlesen reported we have 165 ladies with 12 new ladies and 263 men with 23 new men for a total of 428.
Rules/Tournament Instruction : Doug Wright gave information on getting relief in the areas, including no closer to the hole.
Computer Operations : Marilyn Vetlesen purchased a new computer, monitor, keyboard, and lock for the computer to be used at the Casa for $650.00
Publicity : Jim Mulvey was unavailable.
Sunshine/Correspondence : Please let Karen Carrothers know if your email changes for email blasts. She continues to send cards out.
Casa Supplies : June Brimecombe has moved to a rehab facility. We wish her a speedy recovery. Thank you Marilyn Vetlesen for helping during this period. Patty Coffey will assume the responsibility.
Member comments : A member asked if we could have an eblast on the days the course is closed. There are 2 phone numbers to call at the Casa, but this will be brought up during a Golf Committee Meeting. The birthday cake was then brought out for Bob Witt. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOB
Door Prizes: were won by Nick Davies. Tom Vetlesen, Allison Vincent, Carol Wright and Pat Cerqua.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:35. See you in 2016
Respectfully submitted: Patty Coffey, Secretary
Wednesday July 15, 2015
The meeting was called to order after Happy Half-Hour at 5:30 PM on the Lanai following the ABCD Tournament. There were 20 tables, and over 200 members and guests present. Board members in attendance included: President Opal Martin, First Vice President Len Holness, Second Vice President Greg Coffey, Treasurer Max Blumeyer and Secretary Patty Coffey. Board directors present were Tom and Marilyn Vetlesen, Elizabeth Westwater and Jerry Moskovitz.
Minutes : Minutes approval motioned by Barbara Miller, seconded by Rita Harper, unanimously approved.
Financial Report : Treasurer Max Blumeyer gave a financial statement which included club expenses of $5466.00 and the amount we have in the bank to cover expenses is $11,288.42.
President’s Report : President Opal Martin welcomed and introduced the Board and the Directors. Opal gave a big THANKYOU to Pete Russell and John Manning and their team for a great ABCD Tournament which included 80 golfers. Their team consisted of Joe Newmyer-handicaps, Marilyn Vetlesen, Karen Carrothers, Donna Russell-Casa check-in, and Dick Travis and Mark Beardsley-photos.
Opal welcomed new members: Jan Heller, Bob and Sue Fisher, Dr. Moe and fiancé, Carol who are getting married in a few days (congrats), Gene Alexander, and Mike and Barb Thompson.
Opal then presented the Hole-N-Ones. They were Taka Kramer #16, May 7; Mike Stern #5 May 24; Bud McConnell #13 May 16; John Vinkenbrinke #4 May 30; John Sileno #13 June 2; Hal Stephens #16, June 9; Betsy Crane #7 June 20; Fred Peppe #15 June 22. CONGRATULATIONS
Opal had the secretary read the past motions from recent board meetings. A: Doug Wright made a motion to establish a drop zone on the #3 hole for use by a golfer seeking relief in one of two situations. Relief from any immovable obstruction (including the cart path) may be taken by dropping his or her ball in the drop zone without penalty. Any ball coming to rest to the right of the cart path may be dropper in the drop zone with a one (1) stroke penalty. Greg Coffey moved to accept the rule change and Tom Vetlesen seconded the motion which was passed unanimously. B: Doug Wright made a second motion to approve the expenditure of $350.00 to publish 700 copies of a revised OHGC local rules book. The rules are to become effective August 1, 2015. Greg Coffey moved to approve, Tom Vetlesen seconded passed.
At the July 11, 2015 Board of Directors meeting Tom Vetlesen made a motion to approve an expenditure of $50.00 to post a sign on hole #3 depicting the location of the new drop zone. Len Holness seconded and the motion passed unanimously.
Opal gave the floor to the 2 nd Vice President Greg Coffey who gave a golf course update. Greg is the liaison between the golf course and the golf committee. Our new superintendent Glen Kramer can be seen watering the greens by hand. They have recently sprayed for crab grass and will do it again. The concrete around the Casa is complete. There are new air hoses, new ball washers, and club cleaners on various holes. You will notice the fairways are mowed so it looks like a real golf course. Hopefully El Nino and reclaimed water will be in the future.
Next Jerry Moskovitz mentioned a meeting for Men’s T-Times which is Friday, July 24 at 10:30 in the Sewing Room. Those with preferred T-Times from the last draw are not eligible this time.
Opal gave a Thankyou to the evening events leaders Bev Gillett and Nancy Gayvert and their committee. Bev recognized her committee with red roses.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:45
The next Golf General Meeting is October 1
Following the meeting Pete Russell presented the prizes for the ABCD Tournament
Closest to the pin $15 each- Cindy Sanelli Carol Wright Max Blumeyer Brooks Westwater
1 st place $40 each-Sally Palmer Valerie Davis Allison Vincent Ron Mercier
2 nd place $30 each-Max Blumeyer Tim Lynch Galen Marks John Sargent
3 rd place $25 each-Jim Beall Mike Thompson Jeannie Murrell Lise Cerqua
4 th place $20 each- Judy Fry Yas Urano Lynne Fuller Evelyn Derganc
5 th place $15 each-Paul Yoshida Michi Urano Barbara Miller Gina Stier
6 th place Balls each-Larry Gneiting Art Keller Neil McCullom Jeanne Marks
Respectfully submitted: Patty Coffey, Secretary
APRIL 15, 2015
The meeting was called to order after HAPPY HALF-HOUR at 4:33. There were 51 members present. The meeting was opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.
Board members in attendance included President Opal Martin, First Vice President Len Holness, Second Vice-President Greg Coffey, Treasurer Max Blumeyer, and Secretary Patty Coffey. Directors present were Jerry Moskovitz , Marilyn Vetlesen, Tom Vetlesen and Elizabeth Westwater. Special guests included Don Lopez and Glen Kramer.
Minutes : Neil McCullom motioned to approve the minutes, seconded by Elizabeth Westwater and approved by the members.
New Members : Welcome new golfers: Bill and Dee Dee Jones, and Kurt Hoffman.
Financial Report : Treasurer Max Blumeyer gave us a detailed four page report on transactions, bank statements, cleared checks and payments. The report is in the secretary notes. The balance today is $9,084.15.
President’s Report: Don Lopez was introduced by President Opal Martin and Second Vice-President Greg Coffey. Don is the liaison to the Golf Course Committee and member of the Master Board. Thank you Don for all your help and efforts. Next Opal introduced our new Golf Course Superintendent Glen Kramer. He comes to us from being the Assistant Superintendent at the Crossings in Carlsbad. His degree is from Cal Poly, and served in the USAF. Welcome and already we see a difference. Next Opal introduced Debby and Grady Machnick who have an embroidery business here in Ocean Hills. They presented some of the Logo wear they have for sale including shirts, jackets, towels, hats and visors. If you need their assistance their phone number is 714 726 8483.
Old Business: 2016 Board vacancies were mentioned. Opal will be asking for volunteers for a 3 member Nominating Committee in June. If you are interested please contact President Opal Martin. Next was an update on the July Golf Tournament chaired by Pete Russell. He reported that on Wednesday, July 15 the ABCD Tournament will take place. It will be a shotgun scramble for the first 72 golfers that sign up. The cost is $8. Marilyn Vetlesen will man the computer and Joe Newmyer will help with the ABCD part with the golf handicaps. The tournament will be followed by a meeting at 5PM and then a dinner/dance with the theme “Golf Around The World”. The caterer will be Bobby’s Hideaway and the band will be Sundance. Opal also gave a Swap Meet update. The Golf Club will have a booth this summer to sell donated golf equipment and golf items. Collections to begin in July. If you would like to volunteer to run or help with this event or help please contact Opal Martin.
New Business: President Opal Martin attended the Social Clubs meeting; The Social Club is actively working on by-law changes that will affect all 50 clubs. When completed all clubs will be mandated to alter their respective by-laws accordingly. I'll have more details as they become available. All events when tickets are sold must obtain a one day liquor license in San Marcos for $50.00. If you BYOB you do not need a license. Don Lopez mentioned the caterer could obtain the license and pay for it and include it in his price. Another question asked was why couldn’t there be a fee for all clubs to pay one time per year, but Don Lopez said, “It cannot be handled that way”. This will all go into effect May 1. FYI, Guys and Dolls have been legal forever. GOOD JOB Vetlesens and Elexons.
Committee Reports :
Golf Course Committee: Greg Coffey talked about the new ball washers, new tee sand boxes, drains leveled out on #14, tree trimming is complete, Casa improvement and painted shoe racks. He also again thanked Don Lopez for being the liaison between the Golf Course Committee and the Board. The course will be closed for aerification on Tuesday and Wednesday. Nine holes will be open on Monday. The greens will be aerified and sanded. Greg next spoke about our new Golf Superintendent Glen Kramer, and also his helpers Casey Knapp and Juan Hernandez who kept things going before Glen’s arrival. Thanks Gentlemen. A question was raised about the drought and its effect. Jerry Moskovitz indicated that it will be discussed at the next Board meeting and then the Golf Course Committee will be briefed. The purple pipes are coming and watering will be done 3 times per week. There will be browning. Someone asked who made these requirements and the answer was the City of Oceanside and Governor Jerry Brown. Another question asked was “Can we hand water”? The answer is yes. If you have any concerns please contact Greg Coffey.
Men’s Day Tournaments: Jerry Moskovitz reported there are more men now on Tuesdays playing golf. The next T-Time drawing is in mid-July. Check the website and Casa for exact dates. Ladies can play on Mondays with the men as a standby, fill-in or a group of 4 ladies. Mike Ball had a question concerning the way they do the T-Times. He would like to see it changed. It will be brought up at the next Board Meeting in May. Jerry welcomed any golfer who wants to attend the monthly Thursday Golf Course Meetings.
Women’s Day Tournaments: Elizabeth Westwater mentioned the next Women’s Tournament is May 27. The Memorial Day Tournament will be a 9:00 shotgun and lunch will be catered by the Village Kitchen. It will be held in the green area by the over-flow parking lot. Patti Smith and Joan McCalister will host it.
Niners: Mike Bell was unavailable.
Guys and Dolls: Marilyn Vetlesen: The next tournament is Sunday, April 26 with 135 signed up.
Special Tournaments: Rita Harper was unavailable so Opal said the next Special Event is May 4-5 with Fairwinds Ivey Ranch as the sponsor. There are flyers at the Casa. June 8-9 will be sponsored by Todd Lenhoff Financial.
Match Play: Joe Newmyer was unavailable so Tom Vetlesen said Saturday at 8:30 we will have a Grand Champion in Match Play. Those in contention are Jerry Moskovitz (A), Chris Bevevino (B), Joe Newmyer (C), and Mark Deutman(D). Good luck Gentlemen.
Touring Amateurs: David Demarist: There are 132 players signed up for the Welk Resort Monday, April 20. May 18 will be Woods Valley Golf Club, a full length golf course. The cost $39 includes green fees, cart and prizes. June 29 is a shotgun at Shadowridge for $45.
Hole-in-One : Gordon Burrows made presentations to the following people: Linda Vinkenbrink #3 Jan 9; Bill Bacon #2 Jan 10; Liz Alderson #13 Jan 14; Gerry Stier #7 Jan 19; Ed Ramseyer #11 Jan 23; Jerry Moskovitz #2 Jan 27; Teresa Schroer #8 Feb 7; Don Dudley #3 Feb 8; Mike Fujimoto #3 Feb 24; Jerry Hughes #3 Mar 10; Steve Malone #3 Mar 16; Tomo Hamasaki #13 Mar 24; Larry Roberson #9 Mar 30; Don Young #9 Apr 3 CONGRATULATIONS…
Membership: Margie Stogdill was unavailable so Opal said we have 494 members.
Handicaps: Tom Vetlesen said there are 414 members with handicaps which include 12 new ones.
Rules/Tournament Instruction: Doug Wright said our local rules include using a T on the T-Box and getting relief from the tree wells. Otherwise we follow USGA rules with very few exceptions. These rules are on the back of the bag tags also.
Computer Operations: Marilyn Vetlesen reported everything is fine.
Publicity : Jim Mulvey had no report.
Sunshine/Correspondence: Karen Carrothers was unavailable so Opal said let Karen know when someone needs a card. We lost a golf member this month, Tony Calderone. Our prayers are with his family.
Casa Supplies: June Brimecombe had no report.
Member Input: It was brought up again by Don Mathews about Men’s T Times. It will be put on the Board agenda.
Door prizes were Ralph’s gift cards won by Kurt Hoffman, Tom Vetlesen, Lise Cerqua, Patty Coffey, and Linda Vinkenbrink. Congrats.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:28. The next General Meeting will be July 15.
Respectfully submitted by Patty Coffey
January 21, 2015
The meeting was called to order after HAPPY HALF-HOUR at 4:30. There were 59 members present. The meeting was opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.
Board members in attendance included President Opal Martin, First Vice President Len Holness, Second Vice-President Greg Coffey, Treasurer Max Blumeyer, and Secretary Patty Coffey. Directors present were Jerry Moskovitz , Marilyn Vetlesen, and Elizabeth Westwater.
Minutes : Brooks Westwater motioned to approve the minutes, seconded by Karen Carrothers and passed by the members.
New Members : Welcome new golfers: Al Redson, Mike and Barbara Thompson, Bill Chaska, and Donna Randolph.
Financial Report : Treasurer Max Blumeyer stated with fees, donations, and receipts paid out, our total to date is $6896.73. Joe Newmeyer audited the 2014 budget and finances. He certifies the sales receipts, bank statements and all charges appear appropriate at this time.
Old Business: None.
New Business: President Opal Martin introduced the Officers of the Golf Club. She also appointed the same Directors from 2014 for 2015, Jerry Moskovitz, Elizabeth Westwater, Tom and Marilyn Vetlesen. Mike Bell motioned to approve and seconded by Eric Fenchel, the vote was unanimous from the members to keep the same Directors.
There will be 3 vacancies for 2016. Secretary, Membership, and Ladies Golf Chairman.
The July 15 th meeting and Dinner Dance will also include an ABCD flight shotgun scramble. Pete Russell and Jon Manning will run the tournament with volunteers. The 5:00 meeting will be followed by a Dinner Dance party co-chaired by Nancy Gayvert and Bev Gillette.
A golf swap meet in September, part of the OH Flea Market will help raise money through donated items for golf events. Volunteers are needed to run the event and collect golf items in July. We will get a storage unit or use garages for a couple of months. Anything left over will be donated to the Oceanside Municipal Youth Golf Program. These items must be golf related, golf clothes, golf balls, golf clubs, etc. NO TOASTERS…
Committee Reports :
Golf Course Committee: Greg Coffey addressed the dinkleberry issue again on #12-13 T Box. The crab grass is dormant right now but will eventually be hand- picked and sprayed. Glen Forman has been released from O’Connell. The Casa has new concrete, a new ball washer and new plants. Please do not cut the corner when approaching the Casa. Please go around the practice green during construction. #13 water leak is under control. #18 Men’s T box looks good. Any suggestions and problems please contact Greg Coffey, 760 295 6061. A question was asked about #17 steps and we are waiting for an estimate on costs.
Men’s Day Tournaments: Jerry Moskovitz said T time draws were last Friday for Men’s T times on Mon. and Tues. There were many who showed up. Men’s Day is going full force. There is still lots of room on Mondays for new 4-somes. A question was asked if Touring Ams might move to some Tuesdays because of holiday schedules.
Women’s Day Tournaments: Elizabeth Westwater said it was a great Christmas Party on Dec 17 at Shadowridge. A thank you to Valerie Davis- Chairman, and Rita Harper, sponsor for the champagne. The Valentine Bagel will be Feb 11. It will cover a mulligan, play and breakfast for $6 with a rain date on Feb 18. The Memorial Day Tournament will be May 27 co-chaired by Patti Smith and Joan McAlister. Helen Sloan will chair the Shadowridge Christmas party on December 16. A rules clinic is TBA. Gorilla Golf, play on the Men’s T-box will be this summer. We will have 50/50 raffles at the tournaments.
Niners: Mike Bell said the 9 Hole Tournaments will continue on Tuesday afternoons, at noon, following the Men's Tournament. Niners Tournaments are mixed, which includes men and women. Handouts are available with contact information, 9ers news, and a schedule of games. Also see Mike if you have won recently and have not received your winnings. Uncollected winnings will go back into the pot. Golf club members wanting to play a casual round of golf should show up after 1:30 for open tee times. Earlier the front nine will be filled with Niners and the back nine with the Tuesday Men's Tournament.
Guys and Dolls: Marilyn Vetlesen mentioned there is no schedule at the Casa on paper, but it is available on the web-site. Feb 8 is the first Guys and Dolls. 100 people already have signed up. THANKS to Jack Collier, our starter for 5 years and Bobbie and Dan Elexon, our bar keepers.
Special Tournaments: Rita Harper has 5 special tournaments throughout the year. Greg Coffey gave the report. The first event is May 4-5 Fairwinds Ivy Ranch is the sponsor; June 8-9 Lenhoff Financial is the sponsor; July 27-28 O’Connell Landscaping is the sponsor; Aug 31-Sept. 1 Gorilla Movers, Massage Envy Spa, Senior Move Masters, Elder Care Guides are the sponsors; Oct 5-6 Pipes Plumbing is the sponsor. Please support our sponsors.
Match Play: Joe Newmyer reported that the 14 th Herb Stark Annual will be March 16. Feb 23-March 10 will be sign-ups.
Touring Amateurs: David and Barb Demarest run these 8 tournaments. David said March 23 is at Oaks North, a stretch executive. $38 includes cart, $28 walkers. Next is April 20, Fountains Course at Welk. $36 with cart. Flyers available at the Casa.
Hole-in-One : Gordon Burrows unavailable so Opal gave out the certificates to Susan Fenchel Smith, Oct 19, Hole #10, Sally Palmer Oct 19, Hole #16, Jim Berry Oct 20, Hole # 13, Art Keller Nov 4, Hole #13. CONGRATULATIONS
Membership: Margie Stogdill said there are 485 paid members. We have 40 new sign-ups. To be a member you must be a resident of Ocean Hills.
Handicaps: Tom Vetlesen was unavailable.
Rules/Tournament Instruction: Doug Wright was unavailable.
Computer Operations: Marilyn Vetlesen had no report.
Publicity : Jim Mulvey unavailable.
Sunshine/Correspondence: Karen Carrothers said please alert her of illnesses and other matters.
Casa Supplies: June Brimecombe unavailable.
Member Imput: Helen Sloan mentioned about how to get a handicap for new golfers. Jerry Moskovitz spoke for Tom Vetlesen. Post 5 rounds on the course and have someone sign it. Pay your dues and you can play tournaments. This is also true for Men’s and Women’s Day events on Mon-Tues-Wed. Women can play on Monday as stand-bys or as a member of a permanent team. A women’s team who comes to play on Monday can play at the end.
Al Redson mentioned to Greg Coffey there is an herbicide called Drive which will kill the cocoya grass.
A new member Mike Thompson needs help with a single rider cart. Jerry said the Golf Course Committee is addressing this issue.
New member Donna Randolph needs a book on rules and she was told to see Tom Vetlesen.
Finally Max Blumeyer said PLEASE repair your ball marks and add sand to the divots.
Door prizes were won by Barb Demarist, Joan Kluis, Ron Torgeson, Barb Snyder, Sharon Strickland, Patty Coffey, Margie Broderick, Patrick Cerqua. CONGRATS
The meeting was adjourned at 5:25. The next General Meeting will be April 15.
Respectfully submitted by Patty Coffey
October 15, 2014
The meeting was called to order after HAPPY HALF-HOUR at 4:30. There were 64 members present. The meeting was opened with the Pledge to the Flag.
Board members in attendance included President Opal Martin, First Vice President Len Holness, Second Vice-President Greg Coffey, Treasurer Max Blumeyer, and Secretary Patty Coffey. Directors present were Jerry Moskovitz , Tom and Marilyn Vetlesen, and Elizabeth Westwater.
Minutes : The approval of the last meetings minutes were made by Karen Carrothers and seconded by Chris Bevevino. The vote was unanimous.
New Members : Welcome back to golf, Takato Kramer.
Financial Report : Treasurer Max Blumeyer said the cash on hand is $4586.56, but with expenses still pending there should be about $3400 at the end of the year. He handed out the 2015 OHGC budget which was approved during the October Board of Directors Meeting. The financial records have been reviewed by Joe Newmyer with no discrepancies.
Old Business: None.
New Business: President Opal Martin thanked the wonderful volunteers for their help throughout the year. President Opal appointed a nominating committee in August including Len Holness, Bobbi Elexon, and Frank Dowling. There were no new nominations so David Demarist moved that the Board remain the same for 2015 and it was seconded by Elaine Weiler. Joe Newmyer said the Board and the Directors remain the same and Tom Vetleson seconded. The vote was unanimous.
Joe Newmyer spoke on the 3 rd Annual Match Play at Ocean Hills. 32 people participated which included 27 male golfers and 5 female golfers. As of now there are 2 golfers left. Jerry Moskovitz and Mike Stern will play on Oct. 18. Good luck to both. Remember the last 2 winners were lady golfers. Well done Carol Wright and Sally Palmer.
Golf Course Committee : Greg Coffey gave the details on wet spots, crab grass and flowers around the Casa. The cement has been finished; the targets in the batting cages are up and gave details about the benches and the shoe racks. Finally the ball washer on #1 will reappear. There will be a different access to the golf Casa during the renovation of the pool area. The flag court will be used for heavy equipment. Finally bag tags were mentioned for 2015. They will have specific rules and dress code on the back of the tag. Golfers will be responsible for reading the rules and signing for the tag before they can be issued. O’Connell has a Golf Course Superintendent who is formulating a plan to help with eliminating the crabgrass.
Men’s Day Tournaments: Jerry Moskovitz said there will be a T-time drawing for men in January.
Women’s Day Tournaments: Elizabeth Westwater needs a volunteer to chair the Spring Tournament and the Christmas Party next year. The Christmas Party this year is December 17 at Shadowridge. Tickets go on sale November 3. The next scramble on October 22 will have mulligans for sale and the money will offset the Christmas Party. Rita Harper will sponsor the champagne at the party. THANKS Rita. There will be a 50/50 drawing on Wednesdays to help with expenses.
Niners: Mike and Mina Bell were unavailable.
Guys and Dolls: Marilyn and Tom Vetlesen: Marilyn reported October 19 is the next Guys and Dolls and 147 people are signed up. This is the last one of the year and a turkey will be given away.
Special Tournaments: Rita Harper had four sponsors for the September Tournament. The October Tournament was sponsored by Pipes Plumbing which had 206 players on Mon-Tues. Pipes hosted a Happy Hour for the players Tuesday evening. Thanks PIPES.
Touring Amateurs: David and Barb Demarest: David said two different courses will be added in 2015. They are Twin Oaks and Woods Valley. The last one of the year is November 17 at Welks Resort. Nov 8 is the deadline. The cost is $36
Hole-in-One : Gordon Burrows was unavailable so Opal Martin gave out the certificates. Those acknowledged were: Daneen Leroy #1 July 13; Frank Dowling #3 July 19; Theresa Schroer #18, Aug 30; Al Fried #1 Sept 4; Brooks Westwater #10 Sept 8; Ken Hallworth #1 Sept 9; Ed Bell #13 Sept 29; Tom Fuller #13 Sept 30. CONGRATULATIONS
Membership: Margie Stogdill was unavailable so Elizabeth Westwater said we have 521 members. Look for an email for 2015 membership information. Please put checks in an envelope when paying dues to Margie. Those that do not have email you will get a flyer in your tube with information.
Handicaps: Tom Vetlesen said there are 419 people with handicaps, 162 ladies and 257 men. There are 15 new ladies and 19 men. There are 7 ladies and 12 men working on their handicap.
Rules/Tournament Instruction: Doug Wright: No report
Computer Operations: Marilyn Vetlesen: No report
Publicity: Jim Mulvey was unavailable.
Sunshine/Correspondence: Karen Carrothers said please call or email her if someone needs a card.
Casa Supplies: June Brimecombe: No report.
President Opal Martin told the members that the dues are going up to $8. Max Blumeyer spoke on the reasons why. Don Dudley made a motion to raise the dues from $6 to $8 and Elizabeth Westwater seconded it. The vote was unanimous.
A member asked about the bunkers. Jerry Moskovitz said the plan is on hold pending the reclaimed water event. The cost could be more than $100,000.
Members also asked if the greens have propriety over the bunker project. Jerry invited all that want to come to a Golf Course Committee meeting to listen to PCM, Master board and O’Connell. They are held the last Thursday of each month at 2pm. October 30 and Nov 20 (due to holiday).
Crab Grass issue was mentioned by several golfers and Jerry said they are addressing the problem.
Jack Stanley talked about drilling a well on our premises to help with costs of water.
Door Prizes: Their choice of gift cards from Trader Joes or a sleeve of balls: Scott Sloane, David Demarist, Roger Bell, Dan Vervisch, Eric Fenchal, Dan Elexon, Carol Durgan, Gerry Livesy. CONGRATULATIONS
Next General Meeting is January 14, 2015
The meeting was adjourned at 5:20
Respectfully submitted by Patty Coffey
Wednesday July 16, 2014
The meeting was called to order after Happy Half-Hour at 5:30 PM on the Lanai after the Derby Tournament with the Hoedown to follow. There were 17 tables, 171 members present. Board members in attendance included President Opal Martin, Second Vice President Greg Coffey, Treasurer Max Blumeyer and Secretary Patty Coffey. Board directors present were Tom and Marilyn Vetlesen.
Minutes : Minutes were unanimously approved by Tom Vetlesen, Chris Bevevino and the members.
New Members : None present.
Financial Report : Treasurer Max Blumeyer: we have $7875.76 in the bank. A statement is enclosed in the secretary notes.
President’s Report : President Opal Martin introduced the Board and the Directors. Opal acknowledged her committee who put the dinner-dance together. Thank you to Opal, Sharon Strickland, Barb Miller and Karen Davies and their hubbies.
Greg Coffey gave an update on the Casa improvement. He said the architect is taking aerial photos of the course and then will present information on his survey to the Golf Course Committee. New landscaping and concrete will be done around the Casa to make it a safer and pleasurable environment.
Opal mentioned the next Guys and Dolls dates, July 19 and August 24. Opal mentioned the Special Tournament on August 4-5 sponsored by O’Connell Landscaping and September 8-9 sponsored by Gorilla Movers, Movemasters, Massage Envy, and Elder Care Guide. Touring Amateurs will be August 15 at Lomas Santa Fe with Walgreens as a sponsor and September 15 at The Vineyard with Aegis Living as the sponsor.
Committee Reports :
Under committee reports Opal mentioned on July 18 at 10:00 in the Art Room the Men’s T-times will be drawn and go into effect August 1.
The Hole-in-One : Gordon Burrows was unavailable so Opal presented the certificates. Those acknowledged were: April 16, #11 Lyle Conifrey; May 6 #17 Greg Coffey; May 5 #16 Joan McCalister; May 9, #13 Eddie Ramseyer; May 20 #9 Frank R Dowling; June 2 #1 Paul Gordon; June 18 #7 Jane Aldrich; June 22, #16 Mel Feintuch; June 24 # 17 Bill Glass; June 23 #16 Don Dudley. CONGRATULATIONS
Golf Course Committee : No report
Ladies Day Tournaments : No report
Guys and Dolls : No report
Special Tournaments : No report
Touring Amateurs : No report
Membership : No report.
Sunshine/Correspondence : No report
Men’s Day Tournaments : No report.
Member Input : No report.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:50. Following the meeting door prizes were given out to the following: Jeanne Murrell won a Nike putter, gift cards and golf balls went to Mike Haroldson, Natalie Sentz, Karen Walton, Tom Penick, Carol Ganoo, Linda Vinkenbrink, Fred McGarvey, Kathleen Vizcaino, Judy Frey, Gerry Livsey, Jon Manning, Fred Ostergaard, Mike Graham, Ray Nogueira. Congratulations
Jack Stanley then presented the winners of the Derby. There were 72 participants. This year 3 winners in each flight.
1 st Place: Rich and Linda Frieze, Jerry Young and Pat Connell, and John Sargent and Gerry Warmuth.
2 nd Place: Don Dudley and Natalie Sentz, Dan and Carol Vervisch, and Mike Clark and Mike Ross
3 rd Place: Greg and Patty Coffey, Heidi Hekal and Nancy Clark, and Scott Sloan and Tom Vetlesen
Patty Coffey, Secretary